21 September 2011

Apple Blossom Weddings

Here at The Apple Aisle, we're all about supporting and showing off great Tasmanian wedding vendors and today we were lucky enough to chat to Emily Flaherty of appleblossomweddings, a florist and event styling company based in Launceston.


BPhotography

Hi Emily! Tell us a bit about yourself and your background.

Tassie born and bred, I started working in the floristry industry when I was about 12 or 13 delivering flowers on Valentine’s Day to businesses around Launceston on foot. Since then, I worked intermittently in the family business until starting full-time in 2002 with my floristry apprenticeship through the fabulous Marjorie Milner College in Melbourne.

I completed my Certificate 4 in Interior Design in 2007 and started 'greenappledesigns' and 'greenappleweddings' and launched out on my own. In 2010, I rebranded 'greenappleweddings' to 'appleblossomweddings' and launched the online sites (the blog and facebook page).

It’s a difficult question to answer when people ask how long I have been doing floristry work for and I say nearly 25 years. I often get quite strange looks.


L.U.S.Y Productions

What inspired you to get into Floristry?

Well, I just sort of happened into it being the family business. The opportunities were there so I took them. It’s a great industry to be a part of, very collaborative and supportive, design focused and creative, what’s not to love?

How would you describe your style?

I love pretty, delicate things, I prefer a sweet posy of garden flowers to a contemporary minimalist look. Although I have been trained to do both, my personal preference is for the dainty.


Hitman Photography

Where do you look for inspiration?

Blogs and magazines. I love Real Weddings Magazine and Polka Dot Bride, Rock n Roll Bride and even local blogs. Studio White’s Dressing Room is fabulous – you can see appleblossomweddings featured there sometimes too.


Caught A Glimpse Photography

What is your favourite thing about weddings?

My favourite thing about weddings is when the groom sees the bride for the first time. I remember watching Prince Frederick with tears in his eyes when Princess Mary walked into the church. I remember a dear friend of ours choking on the words to the song he sang whilst his bride crested the hill at the beach. I remember seeing my husband’s sweet knowing smile at our wedding...that’s my favourite bit.

My favourite part of working on a wedding as a supplier is delivering the flowers to the bride. I am always so completely racked with nerves until I see the bride’s response. I love it when I get little claps from the bride, that means I have done well!



Caught A Glimpse Photography

Any tips for aspiring Florists?

Make sure you are trained through Marjorie Milner College – that is all!

As well as Floristry, you also do event styling. What trends are you seeing in weddings and events at the moment?

I do offer my services to be on hand on the day to decorate the venue.

I think there are lots of trends around at the moment, one of the most lasting is tables with lots of little decorations rather than one large floral decoration. Using different textures is something that hasn’t been done a lot yet in this style, using things like hessian, burlap and string, rough sawn timber and other natural resources. It’s good to think of the carbon footprint of our weddings also, thinking how things can be reused afterwards, or what you can hire instead of buy.



Rick Eaves Photography

What do you see in the future for the Tasmanian Wedding Industry?

I think the future of weddings will be reactive to the global economic climate. I already have a lot of DIY brides, just wanting help with the more technical things such as wired work or just the bouquets and doing the rest themselves.

I appreciate the varying budgets brides come to me with, and although the prices of bouquets and buttonholes are always generally the same, the add on costs such as table arrangements, delivery and set up on the day can be completely tailored in my quotes. This means that brides can use my skills for their wedding in a way that suits not only their day, but also their budget.



What song is guaranteed to make you get up and dance?

Oh! There are so many! 'ABC' by The Jackson Five, 'I Don’t Feel Like Dancing' and 'Filthy/Gorgeous' by The Scissor Sisters, 'Do Your Thing' by Basement Jaxx, 'Everyone Deserves Music' by Michael Franti and there is a song that me and my little girl love to dance to called 'I Scream For Ice Cream' by Frances England. I particularly love the line that says "I’ve got an idea, it’s the best one I’ve ever had, I’ve got an idea, let’s get an ice cream cone, put down your cell phone, let’s get an ice cream cone!" Anyone with kids should check out Frances England’s music for kids, its great!

Thanks for chatting with us today, Emily!

No comments:

Post a Comment