25 October 2011

The Wunderplant Studio

I'm very excited to post this interview with Amy Wright of The Wunderplant Studio and co-owner of A Shop Called Milton in Melbourne because this girl is just so damn talented!

From her stylish textile work to her modern floristry, everything she touches turns into a beautiful creation. If you're in Melbourne, make sure to pop by A Shop Called Milton and it's new cafe.

I spoke to Amy about her business, where she gets inspiration from and ogled over the flower arrangements she's does for weddings and store displays...

Tell us a bit about yourself and your background.

I have always painted and drawn flowers and always had flowers around me growing up.

My grandmother was a botanical water-colourist so she spurred my interest in plants and flowers, and I have been always been fascinated by plant life from microscopic details and functionality of plants to their intrinsic visual beauty. I took my passion for painting and drawing into Textile Design, being drawn to the practice by the hands-on approach for turning drawings into usable products for within the home.


What inspired you to get into Floristry?

It was a natural progression and it was never a conscious decision, rather an area that pulled me in and an area in which felt completely at ease.

I started initially making up small posies - The Wunderplant 'Posy in Waiting' for the Wunderplant Studio's brother retail/cafe store, "A Shop Called Milton". People love these little posies and they come each weekend for the bunches. My lovely customers then started asking about my services for weddings and events and the rest, as they say, is history.


So far I have only been working via word of mouth, so I have had the opportunity to grow slowly and to focus 100% on all my delightful couples.

How would you describe your style?

Whimsical. Uncontrived. Artistic.

I see my arrangements draw on my background in painting and sculpture and I am drawn to interesting textures and repetition. I adore working with the unsung heroes in the flower world and really enjoy introducing people to plants and flowers, mixing them up and showcasing them in unexpected lights!

I adore the aspects of flowers and plants that others often overlook or do not consider beautiful.


Where do you look for inspiration?

Blogs - there are so many amazing contemporary flower artisans around the world who I find truly inspirational.

What do you love about weddings?

I find it an honour to be involved in a couple's special day and it's always a joy to deliver the bouquets and arrangements to see the big smiles!

Every wedding is a creative treat, I adore that everyone has a different vision and it's exciting to play a part in that.


Any tips for aspiring florists?

Love what you do and be brave with your ideas. People will seek you out because you can offer something different.

Be creative and break the rules!


What’s in store for A Shop Called Milton and Wunderplant in the near future?

Milton has introduced a cafe into the mix with an amazing chef in the kitchen (of Melbourne Movida pedigree!) and the retail offering of exceptionally made local products is ever expanding!

The Wunderplant Studio has relocated, and is sharing a space with Melbourne Shoemaker, Jess Cameron-Wootten of WOOTTEN in a gorgeous old warehouse space in Prahran. The studio will be launching a new textile range in early 2012 and the flower studio is swamped with amazing weddings, styling projects and intimate events. It's all very exciting!


What song is guaranteed to make you get up and dance?

'Stayin' Alive' by The Beegees!

4 comments:

  1. Primadonna is now offering makeup and hair styling packages to make it even easier on your special day! With over 15 years of experience and a diploma, you are guaranteed professional results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The concept of your blog is really very informative. I definitely share your views to my close friends keeps up the good work going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Primadonna is now offering makeup and hair styling packages to make it even easier on your special day! With over 15 years of experience and a diploma, you are guaranteed professional results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Primadonna is now offering makeup and hair styling packages to make it even easier on your special day! With over 15 years of experience and a diploma, you are guaranteed professional results.

    ReplyDelete